As you may have noticed in Intune they have recently added a new feature in the GUI which allows you to deploy a custom xml instead of using the configuration designer if the standard designer does not meet your needs for one reason or another. If this sounds like something you want to implement then read on.
- Navigate to the Intune Portal
- Go to Client Apps > Apps
- Choose Add
- Under App Type Select Office 365 Suite > Windows 10
- On the Settings format section change from Configuration Designer to Enter XML Data
- Choose App Suite Information
- Enter a Name and Description and any other relevant information and click ok
- Choose Enter XML Data
- You can create the XML using the Office Customisation Tool https://config.office.com/ and export to an XML file.
- Paste in the Custom XML you have created
- Click Ok
- Once finished choose add to create the App
- Now Assign the App as Available/Required to a group of your choice and click save
- Now Office has successfully been deployed to the device.